Sunday, January 24, 2010

A-Z Foods on Monday





A....is for Apple....

....Apple Butter, that is!


While having breakfast out on Saturday morning, 

I noticed a different condiment in the Jelly tray....

Apple Butter...yummy, cinnamon..ummmm! 

childhood memories emerged..

and were quickly discussed.

At my house,apple butter was special, 

a treat reserved for Sunday  breakfast..

tasting so good..

 on top of my Mom's hot,buttered biscuits,

Special...just as her Southern Fried Chicken..

 would be the Main dish for Sunday Dinner!.

There was no rhyme or reason..

 for the elevation in status,

other than perhaps because it was Store-bought..

and the others were homemade.



This recipe is one I have used.
 There are other versions, such as CrockPot Apple Butter,
 which is very time consuming..something I do NOT have enough of!  

Apple Butter


(Makes about 10 ½-pint jars)
  • 4 pounds apples
  • 1 1/2 cups apple cider
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1 1/8 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Sterilize jars and lids in boiling water for 10 minutes. 
(Prepare lids according to manufacturer directions.) 
Remove stems from apples..
cut into quarters (without peeling).
In large pot, combine apples, cider, and vinegar. 
Bring to boil and cook until fruit is soft. 
Press fruit through colander or strainer. 
Cook pulp with sugars and spices for about 20 minutes, 
stirring frequently. 
To test if it’s done, remove a spoonful of butter mixture..
and set aside to cool for 2 minutes. 
If butter remains mounded on the spoon, it’s done. 
Pour hot apple butter into jars. 
Leave ¼ inch space at top. 
Place screw bands and lids on jars ..
and process jars ..
in boiling water bath canner for 5 minutes. 
Remove jars and cool. 
Label and date each jar. 
Jars can be stored up to one year..
 in cool area, out of sunlight.

Now grab a hot buttered biscuit,
smear on a grand amount of Apple Butter..
pour a cup of hot, steaming coffee..
and Let's visit Jen at Unglazed 
for more A-Z foods Monday





6 comments:

  1. Hi Loui, looks delicious! Have a wonderful week! Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apple Butter is one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I have two blog friends in Australia who had asked me if I knew of a recipe and now thanks to you, I do! Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Loui,
    I love apple butter and seeing this post just makes me anxious to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Loui. Applebutter was one of my daddy's favorites on bread. He always had a jar in the refrigerator. Can't say I was a big fan of it, but then that was the store bought stuff. Now when I return to Idaho perhaps I'll try canning some (I'll half your recipe though). I've only become a canning-gal in the past 6 years...Mommy was never that great a cook, so I've slowly gained homemaking skills just in the past 20years! Happy A-Z Monday! x-c

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am craving this NOW!!!!!
    Have a great day Loui!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Monday Loui!
    I haven't eaten apple butter in years....as a kid I ate it ALL the time, I mean All the time. I suppose since it has the word apple in it my mom thought it would be good for me.

    ReplyDelete

welcome to my world of salty sunkissed breezes..
where time is not measured..
linger leisurely..
sift sugary white sand between your toes..
Make and take those wonderful memories..
leaving behind..only your footprints...