Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy anniversary...

Years ago,   during a blizzard,  right after Christmas in Denver Colorado,   I married my best friend.
It was just  the Judge..  him and me..
with our 3 felines as witnesses..
Since that day, we have weathered many a storm..
faced seemingly un-surmountable odds..
nearly losing him to death..
the exact same day I lost my job!
and with God, we continue to bounce back stronger than ever..

We met way back in 1975..
I worked on base in the O Club..
he was there fresh out of medical school and ready to become a flight surgeon.
when I first laid eyes on him, I thought Gosh he is soo tall!
and he is... 6'6"..
back in those days I worked in very tall heels..
even so my 5'2" was still way shorter than him..
he was married..I was in a relationship..
but there was a spark of magic...
a friendship began..
Our paths crossed frequently..
but soon with his wings of gold he headed to a new duty station..
and so was I.. ...as a globe trotting Navy spouse..
after 25 years later..,eventually retiring, and becoming a banker..
until one day I was tired of the mental and verbal abuse..
of living the lie of a happily married couple..
Divorce..nasty..but necessary..
while living in Florida, I looked him up on the internet..
saw where he was in private practice..
sent him a card with my contact info..
very innocent message..
two weeks passed..
and then the phone rang..
did I recognize his voice..absolutely!
I learned he had been divorced for 20 years!
thus began a renewed friendship...
via phone... letters and email!
after joining him in Las Vegas. 
he asked if I would consider coming to Denver..
yes.. I would..
and I did..
we were married a year later..
and are happier than ever..


So when a blizzard is blowing in Denver, I recall the one  on our wedding day...
and the yellow roses he always sends to mark the occasion.


6 comments:

  1. Tears in my eyes - that is a true love story. You 2 were meant to be together. Happy Anniversary and Happy New Year. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary, Lou! Some things are just meant to be! Like you and yours...like me and mine:) I thank God every day for putting us together. I'm sure you do the same. ♥ ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year and Happy Anniversary! This year we haven't had any blizzards here at all; great memory!
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to you and Dr. B. May you continue to be happy and healthy in this new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this post. Time often brings many changes to relationships, it looks like you and your dear hubby weathered many a storm to get to this great time in your life together. Congrats. and may the years continue to bring much happiness, good health and joyful times together.

    Happy New Year -
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post!! Happy Anniversary you two!!!

    and Happy New Yr too! maybe this will be the yr we get to really meet....you know I go to Pensacola/destin every yr!!

    ReplyDelete

welcome to my world of salty sunkissed breezes..
where time is not measured..
linger leisurely..
sift sugary white sand between your toes..
Make and take those wonderful memories..
leaving behind..only your footprints...