Monday, August 2, 2010

Monday..all blue, yellow and mosaic

MellowYellowMondayBadge

Pelicans in Paradise

While home recently, during a day trip to Pensacola,I managed to find some of these wonderful sculptures.
The photos simply do not do them justice.
Can you guess which is MY favorite?
*Photo credits to the various artists can be found on Google Images*

Pelicans in Paradise is a public art project organized by the Pensacola News Journal in which pelican statues of reinforced fiberglass are decorated by various artists, selected by the statues' sponsors, and placed at various outdoor locations around the downtown Pensacola area.
Pelicans in Paradise was inspired by the similar CowParade project, which Pensacola News Journal president & publisher Denise Ivey witnessed during a 2002 trip to Portland, Oregon. Each fiberglass pelican is nearly 5 feet tall and weighs about 70 pounds; each pelican sits on a 48 inch by 40 inch, 450-pound cement "perch."
A total of 41 pelicans have been commissioned for the project: the initial project included twenty-one pelicans launched between June 23-July 2, 2004, followed by a "Second Flight" betweenNovember 15-19, and five more in Spring 2005. One remains unfinished. On May 9, 2005, the pelicans began to be removed, cleaned and returned to their owners/sponsors. Many have remained in the same place.
All pelican designs have been reproduced in the form of scale replicas, which are available for purchase from the Pensacola News Journal. Other Pelicans in Paradise products include T-shirts, posters and magnets. All proceeds from sponsorship and merchandise go to benefit the News Journal's Newspapers in Education literacy program.
Mary for Mosaic Monday

18 comments:

  1. Cute pelican photos. Nice take on the theme.

    My Blue Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw those pelicans and cute and very colorful! Happy Monday!

    Blueberry Lane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. It all began in 1999 in Chicago with Cows on Parade. We were there, and had so much fun photographing the various cows. Since then, flamingoes, alligators, and now peligans have been used. Neat!

    I like the lower right corner one the best!

    Happy Blue Monday, Loui.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love these.....my sister must have the miniatures of a few of them. She lives in P'cola.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you shared these pelicans. I have never seen anything like them. I enjoyed hearing the story behind them as well as your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have these types of installations here , too, but for us they are turkeys! I love art installations...what a great idea!

    Thanks for sharing photos.

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pelicans are so fun! Kind of reminds me of the geese in Longmont. There are several around town painted in bright vivid colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute post...love all the colors. Have a great Blue Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea, they look fabulous all grouped into a mosaic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Gal! These pelicans are adorable! Such fun! YES...I said Destin will be me and my sister's destination in the fall..I think. We are also considering a trip to NC to see the leaves change and stay at a wonderful bloggy friends' cabin. The first take less time, and we may be on a weekend only thing, so visiting with bloggy friends probably wouldn't be possible. :o( She has a pretty tight schedule so I have to see if we can fit in a few extra days.

    It's funny though Loui, because you had been poppin into my head too when I was away from the computer! I think I prayed for you! Everything ok?

    Love and hugs to you, sweetie!
    Have a blessed week!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous!

    Bird's feeder for MYM, come and see please, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loui
    love the mosaic very pretty very colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What cute pelicans! Very original. Happy Blue Monday and Have a great week! Wish I was in FL right now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, how cute, Loui! I love all of them, but my favorite is the one in the lower right corner, with the beach scene.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute idea to benefit something so important!

    I came by your blog to introduce myself. My name is Sherry and I am a new Bloggerette Sorority Sister. I have only been blogging for 3 weeks so I missed the rush, but I look forward in joining in on the events to come. I would be honored if you came by for a visit at http://scrappingwithsherry1.blogspot.com/ Hope to see you there!

    Take Care~ Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great way to support art! I love it.

    ReplyDelete

welcome to my world of salty sunkissed breezes..
where time is not measured..
linger leisurely..
sift sugary white sand between your toes..
Make and take those wonderful memories..
leaving behind..only your footprints...